Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bumps in the road

Life is filled with bumps in the road. If it was all smooth sailing then it really wouldn't be much of a life. Kind of boring, in fact, and you would probably just end up sleeping through most of it.

However, the bumps aren't exactly fun to survive sometimes either. There is that heart in your stomach feeling and that jarring when you hit the ground before you start moving forward again. Definitely not fun. Especially the part where you are hitting the ground and you just want to give up.

I know that feeling far too well. And I hate it. Sometimes I just want to lay down and give up. Screw it! It isn't worth it! I'm tired! I'm done! I don't want to anymore! You name it and I have felt it. Wouldn't that be so much easier after all? When it gets hard just walk away. Find something else. Sometimes it is find someone else.

Then again maybe that wouldn't be easier. Isn't it those bumps that make us stronger, that makes our relationships better? I mean if you can survive the hard stuff doesn't that make the good stuff so much better?

I have had a lot of bumps in the road lately. Bumps about myself, bumps in my marriage, bumps about being a mom, bumps about my family in general, even bumps about following my dreams. I have had moments where I doubt I should have done any of it and maybe I am meant to fail at everything I try. That's the best or should I say worst part about the bumps. They always make you doubt yourself and the choices you've made.

All I can say is push through it. Hold on tight and keep going. If you need to cry go ahead and shed the tears. If you need to scream, take a deep breath and let it loose. If you need to walk away from it all for a while then do that too. Just make sure you don't forget the smooth sailing that got you to that bump or the smooth sailing that always comes afterwards.

It is going to get hard. You are going to want to give up. I know I do sometimes. Just hang in there. The bumps always smooth out eventually.

And sometimes they don't. Sometimes you're on a path that's nothing but bumps. Sometimes you've got to change course and that's okay too. You're the only one that knows. Just remember the bumps make you stronger and whether you change course or not you'll always smile again.

No comments:

Post a Comment