Thursday, June 2, 2011

Getting older

Twenty years ago I was only twelve years old. My little sister was only two. My husband, though we hadn't get met, was only three. I had just recently figured out I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. I had not intentions of marrying or having kids and was unsure if I would go to college.

Oh how things have changed.

I'm thirty-two now. My little sister has become a beautiful woman at twenty-two. My husband, though I tease him about being only twelve, is now twenty-three. I have had a couple of careers, none of which included writing. I am approaching my second anniversary and have the word's cutest baby.

Somewhere along the way I grew up and I grew older. You never think you're going to get older. Sure you spend your youth counting down the days till sixteen, eighteen, twenty-one. Everything after that just seems old when you're waiting to grow up.

I don't feel old though. I feel like I'm finally getting started. Maybe I've spent the last thirty years to figure out what I wanted. Sure I weigh more, sure I have more wrinkles. Of course, I need more then four hours of sleep to function and I don't throw back beers like water anymore. Maybe all of that was killing time till I was ready to really get started with my life.

I still have some questions about where it's going. I am still wondering if I will ever see my name in print. I am still deciding if I have something more to offer the world other then being a wife and mother.

I had a decade of raising other people's children. I spent almost five years serving others and loathing every second. I have had two careers and I have just begun another much more important one.

I have less patience for the stupid people in the world. I am kinder to the less fortunate. I plan ahead now where I use to just wing it.

When I look at myself in the mirror I wonder at the woman who looks back. Does she recognize me? Is she happy with who she sees? Is this who she wanted to see when she grew up? Sometimes I look at her and I try to find the girl she use to be. Is that little girl happy with who she became?

I am getting older and while the days are passing I am noticing a couple of things. I am not the woman I thought I would be but I like this version better. I was going through the motions till it was time for my life to begin. The last thirty years have been practice and lessons learned that I can tell my son about.

I'm getting older and enjoying every moment of it.

2 comments:

  1. I think you where just having fun passing the time till we met. We are getting older but with every passing day we love each other more. (I love even every wrinkle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have had the pleasure of knowing you for almost 30yrs. (wow! that DOES make us sound old) Although we haven't kept in touch for the past 10 I am sure you aren't the same person as you use to be. None of us are. It's amazing how much one person or one event can change our entire lives. It's also amazing at the things that we go through just to make us into the person we are today. Some things we had to learn the hard way but that's what makes us...us. Somethings I will share with my children about my life (somethings are better left unsaid) in hopes that they don't follow the same path but no matter what they do I love them. I have read several of your blogs and I believe that you speak from the heart. Don't give up on your dream of being a writer :)

    ReplyDelete