Saturday, June 4, 2011

Notice me

I hate being taken for granted or ignored. It has driven me crazy my whole life. Not only is it basic common courtesy to acknowledge someone and what they have done, but if they are doing something for you the acknowledging it is the least you can do.

When I was younger and did the dishes I wanted the thank you that never came. Don't get me wrong. I know my mother provided a home and clothes and food and I am thankful for that. When I cleaned the house as a kid though I never heard a thank you. It was expected and so didn't deserve gratitude. At least that's what I thought way back then which is why I stopped doing dishes until I was about thirty. I wanted to be appreciated for that little bit of help.

As an adult that has not changed. I do a lot and I think there are people in my life who don't realize all I do. Yes, I get thank you's but sometimes it would be nice for someone to offer help.

Just like no matter the words I am speaking it would be nice to be acknowledged. Whether you like what I am saying or not. You don't have to like it and you don't have to hang around and listen to it. If you are though then tell me you hear me. I hate repeating myself.

I haven't slept in for the last five months. Though I wouldn't trade a single day as a mommy I have begun to tease my son that when he is a big boy I'm going to teach him to make his own cereal and watch cartoons. It isn't quite 9 a.m yet and I have already fed my son, cooked my own breakfast, done dishes, vacuumed the living room, gone through my emails, cleaned his toys, and put him back down for a nap. My husband has yet to get out of the bed.

People mock stay at home mothers because we don't get paychecks. Do you realize how much more difficult your day would be if we weren't?

When I hold open a door for you say thank you. When I leave my son alone with you for only the second time don't mock me because I am trying to make sure you know everything you need to. Just tell me thank you for trusting you with him. When you come home to a clean house, a hot meal, and get to sleep in once a day every weekend tell me you appreciate that because I never get to. When you bumped me in the grocery store and I'm the one to apology even though you hit me don't just walk away without a word. When we are sitting in traffic and it's 100* outside and I let you pull out in front of me raise a hand in thanks because now you'll get to get home just a little quicker to your family.

I am a human being. I deserve to be noticed and appreciated. By my family, my friends, strangers.

I spent twenty years trying to be invisible and make the world happy. Well now I'm making me happy and now you're going to notice me. I am a human being. I'll treat you like one and you'll treat me like one and maybe the world will be a better place for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment