Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fact vs fiction, my opinion vs yours

So it was brought to my attention that I may have been disrespectful somehow on my Mother's Day post. That was not my attention nor do I think it's true, but that's my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

I feel I should clarify my previous statement though about mothers in my life. I never said any of them were bad, simply not very good. There is a difference. I could list the things in my life I felt were not done to the best of others abilities but what's the point? I know my mother and the other mothers in my family that saw me a few days a year did what they did to make me the woman I am today.

Bad mothers are a class of their own. Neglect and abuse are just general terms for the many things a bad mother is capable of. Mind never left me stranded alone or burned me with cigarettes.

However I don't remember mothers in my life doing some of the things that you hear "good" mothers doing. I don't remember being read to as a child. I don't remember lots of hugs or kisses or being told how pretty I was or how smart. That doesn't mean my mother was bad. Just not very good. I was her first child to give her some credit and she was very young when she had me. Not to mention, I was unplanned.

There are things in my past, my childhood that some are not privileged to know. My mother and I have been through things, some very ugly things that have shaped my opinion of the way I was raised and what a mother could/should be. You may think you know how I grew up but there are things I've never shared with anyone and you can be sure my mother hasn't shared them either. I am not saying I was the best child or she the worst mother. I am saying our relationship was not what it could have been when I was younger.

My mother, without malice or judgement and with all the respect due, was not a very good mother... in the beginning. Now though, as I have become an adult our relationship has changed. She is the best mom I could have in my life right now. We have respect for either other and care for each other in a completely new way. Best of all though, she adores my son, her grandson and it is in that relationship that I see what could have been with us and what will be.

I can't go back and change the way I grew up. Nor do I want to. And I will not take back my words in any previous blog. There was no disrespect, implied or otherwise. I am sorry for those that thought there was but until you know every detail of my life and my relationship with my mother you don't have all the facts. You only get pictures and not the entire story.

I HAVE a great mom and she is a great grandmother to my beautiful baby boy. Those are my facts and my opinion. You are completely entitled to your fiction and your opinion though.

No comments:

Post a Comment