Sunday, May 22, 2011

There are no magic words

Do you remember being a kid and being told the magic words were Please and Thank You? I remember hearing that in school and on my kid shows all the time. Please and Thank you. I think people forgot that lesson. I also think people have decided I'm sorry and I love you fix everything.

What happen to being kind and respectful to people? Friends, family, total strangers? I walk toward a door nowadays carrying my baby in his carseat and the guy walking out will let it slam in my face. I smile at a stranger walking through the store and they look at me like I'm crazy. What happened to basic common courtesy and real effort?

Who decided we didn't have to bother anymore? Who was the one that told everyone they didn't have to be polite to a stranger? Who told people that when they screw up and hurt someone "I'm sorry" or "I love you" makes it all better, like it never happened? I would like to meet this guy so I can punch him in the nose.

I want to raise my son better. I want to raise him to hold open a door for anyone, man or woman if they are coming towards him. I want my son to smile if someone smiles at him, to say please and thank you. Most of all though, I want him to grow up knowing how to give love and respect and to know that when you make mistakes you have to work to fix them sometimes.

I wish someone had taught the whole wide world magic words. Or maybe the truth is I got lied to and their are no magic words. Being polite is just waiting to talk behind someone's back. Respect is an Aretha Franklin song and when you screw up people should just get over it by morning because trust is highly overrated.

Maybe their are no magic words but I'm going to teach my son there are because I want him to be better then me and better then all those people out there who didn't get to learn about the magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment