Thursday, May 19, 2011

Some days are more ordinary then others

So today I felt I needed to impart this little bit of wisdom to the world... or at least the five or six people that might read this. Some days are more ordinary then others. Today I thought I should write something but felt like there wasn't really anything extraordinary for me to say. Then it occurred to me that was what my extraordinary subject is.

Not every day is going to feel like it is something amazing. In fact, most days will blend and bleed and fade into each other. As a mother that breaks my heart. I wonder how many amazing things I miss as those days bleed together. As a woman in my thirties the cracks in my heart have mended and faded in themselves with all the days that have come and gone and I don't recall much. As a human being, well I know that's simply human nature. When you think about all the days we live of course some will fade.

There are so many extraordinary days in our lives. There are memories I will forever hold dear no matter how much time goes by. The day my sister was born. The day I graduated high school. The day I moved to Florida. The day I met my husband. The day I got married and the day I found out I was pregnant. The day my son was born and the day I brought him home. So many extraordinary days.

Yet so many ordinary days. I can't tell you what I was doing on any given Sunday when I was eight or the two hundred and seventy-fifth day of my nineteenth year. I can't tell you what I was doing on August 9th of 2007. I can't even tell you what I was doing last Thursday.

When I look at my husband I can count an endless amount of wonderful days with him but I know there are even more that have faded in the comfort of our relationship. When I look at my son I marvel at this amazing human being I brought into the world and yet I know there are days with him I have already forgotten in the four short months of his life. I will remember the first time he smiled though. The day he laughed and the first time he held his head up. I will remember how his tiny hand wrapped around my finger the first time and the first time he scooted across the floor.

I have known days that will rival no others. Beautiful days that make me smile and laugh and feel loved to my very core. I have known every days though.

Every day I wake up and every day I go to sleep and some days nothing amazing happens. Or maybe I should say that in five years I won't remember anything amazing happening when in truth the simple fact I had all those days is amazing.

Some days are more ordinary then others but that's what makes them so extraordinary. I'll take all the ordinary days I can get.

1 comment:

  1. Well in truth we have so many great ordinary days that we might never remember but at least we have so many more in the future to forget..... ; ) i

    ReplyDelete